Military Funeral Honors

Has your Father, Mother, Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncle or Aunt served in the US Air Force, US Army, US Coast Guard, US Marines,
US Merchant Marines or US Navy?

World War II? Korea? Vietnam? Lebanon or Granada? Panama? Gulf War or the War on Terrorism?

Military Funeral Honors were earned by every Veteran who has served honorably in any branch of the United States military.

Honors for all Veterans typically consist of an honor guard, firing party, the playing of taps and the folding and presentation of a burial flag.

Do you have or know where a copy of the Veteran's Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214) is?
A copy of the DD 214 showing honorable service is essential if a Veteran or their family desires the Veteran be buried in a National cemetery.

To coordinate funeral honors support with the military services, call:

Iowa Army National Guard: 1-555-252-4421

U.S. Army Casualty Assistance: 1-877-681-5249

U.S. Navy Casualty Assistance: 1-360-315-3275

U.S. Air Force Casualty Assistance: 1-402-294-6667

U.S. Marines Casualty Assistance: 1-866-826-3628

U.S. Coast Guard Casualty Assistance: 1-314-606-6792

To view and download a flag folding PDF slideshow prepared by the Iowa Army National Guard Funeral Honors Team, click here.

Application for Standard Government Headstone or Marker, VA 40-1330

Claim for Government Medallion for placement in a Private Cemetery, VA 40-1330M

Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes, VA 27-2008

For information on the Presidential Memorial Certificate, click here.

Presidential Memorial Certificate Request Form, VA 40-0247

Request Pertaining to Military Records, SF 180

Retiree Casualty Assistance Checklist (RCAC), click here.

**While the RCAC is designed for retirees, it is a good checklist to be used by any Veteran and their family.